Biting into one of these light and dreamy banana treats makes me forget they are equally as easy on the stomach (gluten free) as being deliciously satisfying... oh and that they're muffins. One usually associates gluten free with heavy, tasteless and dry, but these couldn't be any more the opposite. So what is the secret?
My Mom is the secret keeper of many wondrous facts of life, where from time to time she will reveal wisdom only had over her years of trial and error, of living, of cooking. And this one secret I will share with you... an egg white or two, whipped to firm peaks, and folded into any bread, cake, or muffin mix, will make the baked product daringly light and fluffy.
The proof lies in the muffins...
Secretly Gluten Free, Banana Muffins
2 soft bananas (cubed)
1/3 cup butter
1/4 granulated sugar
1/4 maple syrup
2 large eggs (1 egg, 1 egg yoke, and set aside 1 egg white to be whipped)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, maple syrup, and 1 egg. In a small bowl, separate the 2nd egg into a yoke and white. Add the yoke to the batter and stir until well combined. Set aside egg white to be whipped.
2. Add almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, and salt, to the wet mixture and combine. Stir in 2 bananas, cubed.
3. Whisk the egg white that has been set aside with en electric mixer or large whisk until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg white into the batter (do not stir vigorously).
4. Line a muffin tray with 12 cups or grease, and spoon batter into the cups (about tablespoon full). Sprinkle flaked almonds on top of cupful of batter.
5. Bake at 350F for approx 15mins, or until golden brown.
Makes 12 muffins. After making the recipe, everyone wanted more, so I would strongly suggest to double this recipe!
If Gwen Stefani were to sing about these, no doubt it would be.. This shit is bananas! B. A. N. A. N. A. S! Happens to me every time...