My mother has carried the burden of a thousand soldiers, brought light when it was darkest, whispered tender breath to quiet the heaviest of tears, and all the while kept her gentle soul awake to share the playful secrets of her heart.
Earl Grey Mother's Day Cake
Cake **Its GLUTEN FREE
3 tsp Earl Grey tea leaves (about 2-3 bags)
1/4cup (60ml) boiling water
1/3cup (80ml) organic whole milk
100g butter, softened
2 large eggs
2/3cup (160g) granulated sugar
1/2 vanilla pod
1 1/4cup (200g) rice flour
1/4tsp baking powder
3-4 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2cup icing sugar
*this is approximate glaze thickness, adjust as desired
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with baking paper, a square or round 20cm cake tin (I only had square.)
2. Empty the tea leaves from the bags, place into a cup, and pour boiling water over top. Allow to steep for 3 minutes, then add the milk.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Reduce mixing speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time while beating. Run a knife down the middle of the vanilla pod, and scrape the vanilla seeds out from one half. Add seeds to mixture.
4. With beaters on low speed, slowly add the flour and baking powder, alternating with the tea mixture. Beat until combined. **Please note, the tea mixture should be cool before adding to the mixture otherwise the batter will curdle.
5. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 25-30mins. Allow to fully cool before turning cake out of cake tin.
6.While the cake is baking, prepare the lemon glaze by whisking together the lemon juice and icing sugar until you get a smooth, runny, but thick consistency.
7. Once the cake has fully cooled, pour the lemon glaze over the top.
|Before the glaze...|
|After the glaze!|
Beautifully flavoured with Earl Grey, and a hint of earthy vanilla... perfect to please Mom.
To my dearest Mother, Happy Mother's Day!!
|My Mom about my age!|